Monday, November 11, 2013

Responding to Literature - TV Broadcasts

Students become TV broadcasters to report on events from the story or reading selection:


As I have mentioned previously, I teach a combination class with both fifth and sixth grade students.  Although they have different curriculum, I work hard at finding the overlaps to enhance the learning.  When this isn't possible, I often have my students complete the same style project with different topics. (Easier for me and more engaging for the students!)  Win-Win!  Woohoo!

This week my fifth grade students were reading a nonfiction selection from their Reading textbooks about Mae Jemison, the first African American astronaut in space.  At the same time my sixth graders were reading the fairy tale - "The Emperor's New Clothes."  There just aren't any overlapping ideas in these two pieces!  (Fiction vs. NonFiction, Fairy Tale Fantasy vs. career choice selection) - Nope...no connections!

So, what did I do?  I gave both grades a similar assignment to respond to the literature. Students had to create a TV Broadcast - news style - to report on the events from their reading selection. 



This TV news format was easier for the fifth graders, because what they were presenting was news (or at least in was twelve years ago!)   To them this was ancient history, which created the problem of choosing a time frame and staying in that tense.  They could have it happening now, the interview could be right after the event occurred, or they could have it as a type of anniversary piece, remembering an event from ten or so years ago.
  

On the other hand, the sixth graders were encouraged to think of the Rosebowl Parade, and how the commentators present the floats as they come along.  They could interview crowds on the street, the Emperor's trusted ministers, or even the Emperor himself!


The students had so much fun with this, and I not only got a reading grade, but I also got Speaking & Listening grade!  I had the students work with a partner for this assignment. 

  No props or backdrops were required, but many of the students created them anyway - they really got into the mood and festivities!  A bonus for me! 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment