Monday, August 4, 2014

Goal Setting Bulletin Board - What Should It Say?

Every year I start with a goal setting bulletin board. I find this to be a great kick start to teaching figurative language, classroom discussion expectations, and student goal setting. I make this a student centered bulletin board with students creating their own character with a goal for the year. These stay up all year long, and at the end of the year I pass them back and let the students do some self-reflection as to how well they met their own goal. Four years ago, my bulletin board read, "Grow Your Own Wings...Let Them Take You to Amazing Places." The students created their own butterflies with their goal for the year on it. It was great! Three years ago, my bulletin board said, "Those at the Top of the Mountain Didn't Fall There." I had two mountain peaks and the students created their mountain climber with their goal on it. This wasn't quite as cute, but the students really got into the message. They would talk about how there are always taller mountains to climb, and once you do reach the top of your own personal mountain then you need to move on to the next one!
Two years ago, my bulletin board sparkled for the entire year! The quote read, "Those who Reach the Stars Walk in Stardust!" Each student traced their arm, cut it out, and added dreams and goals to it. This one was probably my favorite, and I'm tempted to repeat it, but first I need to explore other possibilities.
Last year my board read, "Why not go out on a Limb, Isn't That Where the Fruit is?" The student characters with the fruit were adorable. Students could use whatever fruit they wanted, in any way they wanted. Some used an apple as a hot air balloon, or a banana as a surfboard. They were very creative!
So, the question remains...what should I do this year? How about some help out there? I'd love to hear your ideas! Here are some that I have been considering...
I'm also open to other ideas. What do you think? I'd love your input! Thanks, Shari
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment