Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Great Class Read Aloud - "Touching Spirit Bear"

One of my favorite books to read with my class is Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen.  Each time I use this book with my class, I do a better job.  There are just so many amazing opportunities to enhance the learning with the events and issues in this book.



I have used activities such as Socratic Seminars, debates, response to literature journals, blogs, kinesthetic and art activities with much success.


But today I used a journal prompt that I never had tried before.  We are towards the end of the book where Peter has come to the island to join Cole.  Cole is sharing all of the things he has done and learned since coming to the island, but he is embarrassed to discuss the empty space at the bottom of his totem pole.  He just does not know how to visually display what he has learned from his dance of anger about healing.

So I asked the students to write what they thought Cole should carve at the bottom of his totem pole, and what this object would symbolize.  After giving them some independent time to write, I had them share out at their table groups.  Then each group had to share their two favorite ideas with the class.

Here is what they came up with:

  • A dove - symbolizing peace
  • A head that is half Cole and half Peter - symbolizing friendship (this is a bit optimistic in both carving abilities and the idea of friendship between the two, but it is a nice thought!)
  • A present - symbolizing giving to others and forgiveness
  • A spirit bear - symbolizing Cole's lost rage
  • A fire - symbolizing life lessons, since Cole always seems to make these discoveries from the dances around the campfire
  • Two hands holding a heart - symbolizing caring
  • A heart - symbolizing love and forgiveness
  • A seagull - symbolizing life
  • Cole's dad - symbolizing forgiveness
  • A single line - symbolizing Edwin's path analogy
  • A circle - symbolizing Cole's changing life and the circle of life

I was so pleased with their ability to create such meaningful symbolism!  This is an activity that I will certainly use again in the future!!!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment