Sunday, September 21, 2014

What Did You Do This Summer? Research Project

Many years I like to start off with a research project for my students that gives lots of student choice. I learn so much about my class, and my students are getting back into the swing of things by learning more about something they experienced over the summer. The topic can be anything that has something to do with their summer, and the research activities are selected from a Tic Tac Toe menu. Not only do I learn so much about my students, I also can set the groundwork for my research expectations. We discuss choosing reliable sources of information, paraphrasing vs. plagiarizing, and keeping a bibliography. I am not hard nosed about these yet, but I do start to discuss my expectations. I have had such great luck with this project that I have it put together as a unit in my TPT store - if you are interested. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Beyond-The-Garden-Gate-Shari-Bithell ">
I'm not sure what I did differently, or if it is just the students that I have in my class this year, but the creativity and work that I got this year was incredible! Every year, I give my students a Tic Tac Toe board with choices of activities based on Gardner's Multiple Intelligence Theory, yet many of my students tend to choose the same three or four activities. Technology, Fact Gathering, Compare & Contrast, and Survey. (It's interesting, even when we try to give student choice - they aren't always ready to take a risk at the beginning of the school year) Not this year though! This year I had students demonstrating how to do something they learned, singing songs to the class, building or creating items to share with the class, and creating their own videos for us! Listening to the presentations was so much easier, because of the variety of styles!
Topics vary greatly. This year we learned about places such as National Parks (Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon), travel destinations (Hawaii, Washington D.C, Las Vegas, San Diego, New Mexico, Disney World), summer activities (snorkeling, whale watching, horseback riding, canoe rowing, surfing, and other water sports), and even more about video games from one of my couch potatoes!
How to's included: How to draw Tigger:
How to row a boat or canoe:
How to snorkel:
Summer Activities included: Horseback Riding:
Surfing:
Whale Watching:
Students love the choices they can make, and they were truly interested in each other's presentations! What could be better than that?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment