Wednesday, February 19, 2014

More Blogging with my Class!


In previous posts I talked about using a Weebly blog with my class, and even put up a sample of some of the discussion that was taking place among my students.  Both my students and I have really been enjoying incorporating the blog into our curriculum, and Weebly just makes it so easy!

So, I got the other fifth and sixth grade teachers at my school started on Weebly blogs of their own. They are having the same success that I have enjoyed, and they are so happy that I got them started on these!  It really is a great tool to use with upper grade elementary students.



As much as I enjoy the online discussion, I wanted to give my students an assignment that only I would see.  I wanted them to write two good paragraphs answering two different questions.  Here are the two questions that I asked:

In your opinion, what does Cole need to do to become invisible.  (I asked this question before we read chapter 23 where Cole realized the answer himself)  After we read the chapter, I added:
What did Cole learn about being invisible.  In what way was your idea similar to what we found out in the book?

What do you think Cole needs to do to heal?  (After reading chapter 23, I added the following)  What did Cole learn from his dance of anger?  In what way was your idea similar to what we found out in the book?  Is Cole on a healing path now?  Will this continue?



I wanted well written paragraphs with good support for their opinions and ideas, so I really didn't want them to see each other's work.  I also like the paper free aspect of the blog. Lucky for me, Weebly offers a solution!  I assigned the questions to my students and put up an Assignment sheet for my students.  The students typed their responses and them uploaded them to the blog.  These were sent to me in an email!  How easy is that?

One thing that I found was that some students were unable to upload, because they were using an ipad or similar type device.  What works for these students is a Contact form.  They can type their paragraphs right into the box, and that is sent to you in an email as well!  Something for everyone!



Just one more thing that I love about blogging!
Give it a try!  You'll love it too!

Have I peeked your interest?  Want to know more?  Here are a few links for previous posts about blogging.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment