Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pi Day - One Day Early! Furlough Friday on March 14

I couldn't believe it, when I looked at the calendar and saw that March 14 was a furlough day!  Oh no!  Pi Day is my favorite school day of the year.  So, I decided that we would just have to celebrate on March 13, which made Pi Day today in my classroom.  And what a day we had!

This year I let my students choose their own team mascot, and they came up with some that I had never thought of before!  We had six teams:

The Porcu-Pi-nes
The Scor-Pi-ons
The Pi-napples
The S-Pi-kes
The Pi-thons
The Pi Eaters


All day long they competed in teams, facing various math challenges related to geometry, circles, and Pi.  The students love the team spirit, and don't even seem to notice that they are doing work!  Throughout the day, the teams added items to their team Pi-lons (pylons).  They also completed Pi Posters with Pie Charts of our classes favorite pies.  I judged both the Pi Posters and Pi-lons at the end of the day after the students left.  They will get the final results on Monday.  Here are some of their Pi-lons.





One of their favorite activities today was the "I S-pi" online scavenger hunt.  I gave each team two mini-iPads to hunt with!  They were so engaged!  FUN Learning!




Periodically, throughout the day I would ring the bell.  This had the students scrambling back to their regular seats to compete with their regular table groups for Pi Riddles.  This added another layer of fun and excitement!  

And of course, we ate pie at the end of the day.  Here are a few of their Pi Posters:



This is my very best seller in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  If you are interested in trying yourself, please check it out!


Happy Pi Day!!!




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment