Monday, March 3, 2014

Seussify Your Class This Week!!!

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.Dr. Seuss


Dr. Seuss is not just for the primary kids - there is so much for middle school kids to gain from this remarkable man.  

I think I am going to put this quote up in my class tomorrow, and have my students discuss it.  Then I am going to have them do just that...look at life from the wrong end of the telescope!  What will they come up with?  It should be fun to find out!  



One of my favorite Dr. Seuss reads for older kids is "The Sneetches."  What a great lesson, and such fun characters! 

Here's a little excerpt from it:

Now, the Star-Bell Sneetches had bellies with stars. 
The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars. 
Those stars weren’t so big. They were really so small. 
You might think such a thing wouldn’t matter at all. 

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches 
Would brag, “We’re the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.” 
With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they’d snort 
“We’ll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!” 
And, whenever they met some, when they were out walking, 
They’d hike right on past them without even talking. 


In the past, I have divided up the verses among my students, had them practice reading with expression and fluency.  Then they made a page with their verse and their own illustration.  We put these together into our own book, which the students read aloud.  It was fun, and we had a great discussion as the the message of the book.

Dr. Seuss also has some amazing inspirational quotes to use in the classroom.  One of my favorites is:



There are just so many Seussified things to do with your class - I think I'll try a different one each day this week!  How about you?  Are you Seuss Inspired?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment